Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Toni and Peter Go Here and There and Everywhere!

Name: Toni Montgomery
Date: April 12-14, 2013
Destination: New Madrid, MO
Latitude: 36.5864° N
Longitude: 89.5278° W
Total Miles:415.3


Peter and I left Southern Illinois University on Friday, April 12 to travel home to Marion, IL. When we got home, Peter and I went to eat at Triple "E" with my family. I ordered the usual grilled cheese, french fries and coke to drink. Peter wasn't hungry so he just watched everyone else eat. After a lively night of hanging out with my family, Peter and I decided it was time to rest up before our journey the following day. On Saturday morning, Peter and I woke up early and went to Zumba, before we headed out on our adventure. Finally, after our morning exercise Peter, Dad, and I loaded up the car and set the roadways a blaze. First stop, Noranda Aluminum in New Madrid, Missouri. Noranda Aluminum is the leading producer of value-added primary aluminum products and rolled aluminum coils.Noranda Aluminum is the leading source of jobs for the Bootheel.
  

After leaving Noranda Aluminum, Peter, Dad, and I headed South towards Wardell, MO. Wardell is the definition of small town  USA, with a population of only 427. In the late 1950's and early 1960's my family owned the local cotton gin, which is known today as Peach Orchard Gin. Dad took Peter and I to the gin to reflect upon the memories made and lessons learned during his cotton picking days.

 Peter, Dad, and I drove over the river and through the woods, literally, to stay at grandmas house that night. On Sunday morning, we got up early to head to Murray State University from the Bootheel of Missouri. This scenic drive took us through the back woods of Tennessee and the blue grasses of Kentucky. That day the Murray State Breds Baseball team was scheduled to play the Jacksonville Gamecocks. Peter, Dad, and I cheered on our favorite MSU Bred, #14! Peter was an excellent cheerleader, but all that cheering made him thirsty so Dad had to buy Peter and I a Mountain Dew to share. Peter must have been the good luck charm the Breds needed, cause they took the win for the series beating the Gamecocks 10 to 7, that Sunday. 
After an exciting weekend, Peter and I returned home to return to Southern Illinois University bright and early Monday morning. Peter, Dad, and I had a great time traveling throughout the region. Peter hardly ever had to stop for restroom breaks, and was a good companion during the long hours spent on the road. However, Peter almost got left at a gas station after finding out he enjoyed dads radio choices. Dad and Peter listened to old country music and sang off beat, as I secretly changed the stations. This back and forth struggle went on for the entire 415.3 mile road trip.




No comments:

Post a Comment