Tuesday, April 9, 2013

William Penn visits the Saint Louis Gateway Arch



Name: Christine Piha
Date Feb. 28th - March 3rd 
Destination: Saint Louis, Missouri
Latitude: 38.63° N
Longitude: 90.18 ° W
Round Trip Miles: 304 miles
Total Miles:  916 miles


On February 28th,I picked up William Penn after CI 424 in Wham.  After that, we headed back to my house for the night to catch up on some homework. We got up early Friday morning and drove down to St. Louis, Missouri to visit my boyfriend who attends Saint Louis University for the weekend. Jake had two lacrosse games, one Saturday and one Sunday in O’Fallen, IL and William attended both. I learned that he is quite a fan of lacrosse and he cheered more than I did! After Jake’s game on Sunday, William, Jake and I took a trip to the Gateway Arch in Saint Louis, Missouri. The Arch is the center of the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial in Saint Louis, Missouri. While we were there we learned that the Gateway Arch was built as a monument to honor westward expansion in the United States. Some other information we learned was that construction of the arch began on February 12th, 1963 and concluded on October 28th, 1965. It is 630 feet tall and 630 feet wide and is built out of stainless steel.  The arch cost about 13 million dollars to build. There is a visitor’s center underground where visitors can travel to an observation deck at the top of the arch in a 40-passenger tram that runs inside the arch. Later that day, William and I said bye to Jake and traveled back to Carbondale. William Penn wanted to stay in Saint Louis with Jake, but I explained to him that I had to return him back to Wham on Tuesday.


No comments:

Post a Comment